Monday, March 31, 2014

An Internet WTF moment

It is a strange world we live in for a simple guy from Lake Wobegon.  The Internet is kind of the wild west.  Dating sites are part of that frontier. I am part of that wild west.

A little back story.  I have been dating Barb for 5 months.  She is very sweet but perhaps spread a little thin with too many obligations.   We had a pretty good weekend.  Went out Saturday night to an interesting restaurant, The Senate with her twin sister, her husband and another couple.  Had some great margaritas at Bakersfield prior to dinner.  It was a good time but I think Barb may have been over-served and wanted to go home after dinner.  She was falling asleep in the car.  She had promised to take her father to church in the morning.  I digress....

She came over on Sunday afternoon.  We took a long walk with Dusty, 5 miles (I am going to get into shape if it kills me)!. We watched some basketball.  She cooked me crab legs and asparagus.  I was really hoping to get lucky, but it got late. She needs to be up at 5:15 a.m. for her job.  Perhaps poor planning on my part.  It did not seem too late for me. She left somewhat abruptly leaving me a feeling a little neglected, horny and bored.  It would have been a great weekend if I got laid.  But I digress...

So what does one do if feeling neglected lonely and bored?  Get on the internet.  I have been off the dating sites for four or five months.  I have generally been pretty content, which is probably not my natural state.  My least favorite site was POF but it is free.  I am not sure that I ever actually went on a date from anyone from that site.  Met a couple of women for a drink.  Communicated with some that never seemed to go anywhere.  Nonetheless it is free to look around.  But I digress....

The first thing that struck me is that many of the same women are on there that were there six months ago.  These women were probably there last year too.  You see many of the same pictures on Match.com.  Many complain of serial daters but apparently have made little progress in the past year.  I appreciate it is challenging out there in the wild west.  Not sure if it is lack of qualified candidates, lack of time, or too high of standards or perhaps just a pain in the ass.  But I digress.....

Now for my WTF moment..  About 5 pages in I saw the below post.  My name is in the headline!  WTF?

I read the profile.  An purportedly attractive woman with no picture.  Perhaps she is looking for a different David B,. Hanna?

No, I am pretty sure that is directed to me.  Purportedly from Anderson Township and is into Corvettes, motorcycles and dogs.  Someone who knows my vices and my name.

I like my privacy and do not readily share my name until things actually develop into a date.

Now the wheels in my head are spinning.  Is this a complete setup?  What is the motive?  How long has this been out there?

Not sure that I get the inside joke about snoring and farting.  The ex used to snore a lot.  I probably snore some and I do occasionally fart.  A teacher?  Named Stacy or Tabitha?  In tip top shape?  Speaks Spanish?

Did I piss someone off (more than my normal INTJ behavior)?

Is the ex up to something?  Doesn't seem like her style.  However, she is passive agressive.  After some of our divorce battles I doubt she wants to start another one.  No longer in tip top shape.  Perhaps after a some wine with her friends this is what they came up with?

Theresa?  She was pretty unbalanced and sent me nasty texts after we broke up.  Theresa, we never slept together and I elected to end it before it really got started.  She did seem pretty infatuated with me for some reason.  I don't think so.

Roger, the idiot?  He has been trying to befriend me and claims he knows single women in Anderson who I really should meet.

One of the neighbors friends?  She has been a little cool to me lately.

I did exchange some emails with a teacher from Anderson and she had red hair.  But she had young children.  Not sure I ever gave her my full name.  Her name was Linda, not Stacy.  She seemed nice and then disappeared.

A test from Barb or one of her friends?  I don't think it is her style.

A legitimate secret admirer?  I am skeptical.

Hmmm.... I googled my name and POF here it is.

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=71680390

Again, I say, WTF?



3 comments:

  1. That will teach you to choose a tall, skinny woman. Everyone knows women with curves have stronger sex drives. :-) About the POT ad....WE indeed! I'd be flattered if I were you. Someone is still thinking about you way too much. I'm glad you didn't need to even try to rule out the possibility that it was me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK auto correct strikes again...I assume you can figure out what I really typed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect Betty to be more direct than sneaking a random POF profile on the internet..... We indeed?, I am being a little dense on my interpretation. You mayt be right about curvy women....
    BTW, I am still trying to figure women out. I think she chose me.....

    How does it go? A woman goes out and she knows if she is going to get lucky or not. I man wishes/thinks?

    ReplyDelete