Monday, October 5, 2015

Day Five part two


So I roll out of the mountains and back to the valleys and plains into Salida, Co.  A little north of there I have a choice to go to Leadville or head towards Fairplay and over to Breckenridge.  I have been to Leadville so I decide to go to Breckenridge. 

The ride to Fairplay is flat and kind of boring.  A long straight road in the valley with mountain ranges on each side.  It is also the home  of Southpark, or so they claim.

I pass through Alma where they claim to have the highest bar in the land.  Then up and over another spectacular mountain pass.  Another fine ride.

Breckenridge is busy.  A very pretty town but very commercialized and Disneyfied.  At one time it was a mining town.  Now it is home to expensive shops, parking meters  and restaurants.  I see European tourists dressed in  designer clothes.  Everyone else appears that they are about to set forth on a mountain trek and are wearing their hiking boots and hiking gear.   A little too perfect.  I feel underdressed in my jeans, boots and t-shirt.  But it is a beautiful day.  I have some lunch after searching for something reasonably priced and pretty normal. 


Beautiful scenery, beautiful homes, and beautiful people.  I conclude it is good to be at least semi-wealthy.

At this time I still have thoughts about getting up to Rocky Mountain National Park so I head out.  From Breckenridge to the freeway is filled with commercial developments, condos and anything else you might need for a civilized escape from Denver.  A little too civilized for me.  Give me some old stuff, something that feels real not artificial.
Maybe I should have gone to Leadville.

I gas up in Dillon.  I pull into a gas station filled with bikes.  They are part of an honor guard veterans group that travels the country and delivers flags to families who had service men/women die while serving our country.   A flag is something I never want to receive.   A pretty poor trade, my Marine son for a flag from a grateful nation.  I chat with a few of the members.  They are from Oregon and heading for Sturgis.  They are not that friendly.  Gives my brain more stuff to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment