Thursday, September 17, 2015

Day four continued


Well I found my key and packed up the bike.  The vague plan is to ride across the state and ride the famous million dollar highway. 

A great ride out of the Cripple Creek area.  I am seeing a lot more motorcycles doing the same thing I am.  I form of common lunacy I suppose.  Not particularly practical or rational to travel by motorcycle but there are lots of people doing it.  It is a little like flying but you are connected to the ground.

A lot of waving from other motorcycles.  I have my wave, a two finger peace sign without much extension of the arm.  Sometimes, if I have a pillion, I will delegate the waving duties.

So off I go on my fine machine.  She is a beauty and never complains.  Six cylinders and massive torque.  It handles the mountains with ease.   Maintain focus, look way through the turns. Some awesome scenery.  I could live out here.

I hit Salida, Colorado.  My vague plan included a southern loop to Durango and then up the million dollar highway.   My map indicate that is a very long ride.  I am concerned about where I might end up and what my accommodations might be.  I am in prime tourist season.  Some of these mountain towns are small are likely to be sold out of hotel rooms.

I changed  my plan to something more manageable.  I consult and negotiate with myself and  after completing much thought in my head, I agree to the new plan.  I will take highway 50 west to Montrose and go over  Monarch Pass and through Gunnison.   Then I ride the million dollar highway.

U.S. Highway 50 runs from coast to coast.  It also runs through Cincinnati where I have lived for the past 18 years.  It would be fun to ride the whole road.  Tom Brokaw drove it and wrote a book about it.

There is new pavement on highway 50.  Also some road construction.  I ran into construction a lot in Colorado but generally their roads were very good.  Some beautiful mountain scenery.

Sometimes your timing is good.  Sometimes it is really good.  Highway 50 is primarily 2 lane with a few turnouts.  Heading into the mountains traffic was light and I was able to complete a couple of passes.  Drop the bike down a gear or two to third or fourth and twist the throttle.  Blow by the offending slow vehicle.  I get a thrill every time. 

Heading to Monarch Pass I made a strategic pass of a large tanker truck and then was stopped by a flagman as they had the road blocked down to one lane.  I was in perfect position.  No one in front of me, and new perfect pavement.  I roared up the mountain tunes blaring.  Some nice long sweeping turns that you could pick your line, lean the bike over and go.  Take it to the limit from the Eagles came on as I was climbing the mountain.  A perfect day, an awesome experience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment