Thursday, May 19, 2016

Day 10 continued, Blurry eyed and missing my shoe


I am on a mission to see my mom.  I focus and ride.  I pass through the badlands but do not see much and do not stop.  I pass right on by Wall Drug. 

80 MPH speed limit is South Dakota.  The powers that be appreciate that this is a boring stretch of highway.    The weather remains good, a little warm but comfortable.  The tunes are playing but difficult to listen to at 85 MPH.  I try to get off every couple of hours to stretch my legs or refuel.

Tangent warning:  Sometime I get impatient.  I am doing better with this as I age but when I get frustrated, tired and hungry I get careless.  I have the bike packed to the gills and on the back is a red waterproof bag with a drawstring type opening.  It is over-packed.  The right thing to do would to repack.  In that bag I cram some drinks, some jerky and by beloved, officially licensed, Margaritaville boat shoes. 


I loved those shoes. Casual, cool and comfortable.  I would wear them at camp or in the hotel.  I am not a particularly stylish guy, but I felt pretty stylish wearing them.  They replaced another beloved pair and are not easy to find.  They were the last item in the bag.

I do make a stop at the Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota. Fueled the bike, the body, and took a picture.


Haste makes waste.  Because of my haste, and my cramming, I am now missing my shoe.  Somewhere on I-90 in South Dakota is one size 9.5 stylish boat shoe bounced out of my bag and is now decomposing in some ditch.






I finally hit the border to Minnesota.  The speed limit drops and more road construction greats me.  I consider passing through Fairmont Minnesota.  My parents grew up there.  It reminds me of the small town and some of the people described by Garrison Keillor in his wonderful stories of Lake Wobegon.  My grandparents are buried there along with some of the ashes of my father. 

It is getting late and I decide I will not make that trip today and chose a more direct route.  I feel some remorse, when will I make that trip? 

I head NW on Highway 60.  I am used to a ground speed of 85 MPH.  The speed limit is 55 MPH.  60 MPH seems slow.  55 MPH seems ridiculous.  I hope I do not get a ticket.

Around sunset I find myself in St. James Minnesota.  I am exhausted.   I call my mom and tell her where I am.  She plans to wait up for me because I guess that is what mothers do. 

It is dark as I head into Mankato.  I know the way home but am exhausted.  I stop at a McDonalds to regroup.  I am really not too hungry but do need a break. 

I think I know the route home but my eyes are not cooperating.  The roads are dark, curvy and unlit .  I start seeing double on the reflectors that line part of the road. I am scared and unable to drive the speed limit because I cannot see the road. I am sad that my eyes are behaving this poorly.  My body is tired and my mind wanders.  My mission continues.    I am taking my time as I really do not and cannot see the curves in the road very far ahead.  I am getting passed, something that does not happen to me often, and use the car ahead of me as a target.  The car goes too fast and I again struggle in the dark.  A semi passes me, it is a bigger target  and I follow it to Shakopee.  I get my second, third or fourth wind.  From there the roads are better lit and there is more traffic to follow. 


Getting old with glaucoma sucks!

I rolled into Mom’s driveway around 11:30.  It is good to be home.  Mission accomplished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment