Thursday, August 27, 2015

Day three, I got lucky



Oh Blogger you are a bastard.  I just lost a post when I tried to hit spell check.  I was pretty satisfied with the draft and now it is gone forwever.  Here we go again.

Day 3. 

I hit the Colorado border.  I had forgotten that eastern Colorado is a lot like Kansas and that is not a good thing.  High plains, with not much to look at.  I have lots of time to think and listen to music. Where are the damn mountains.  High plains drifter is a pretty good description of what I am doing and feeling like on a six cylinder motorcycle.  

A hundred miles or so across more plains and I hit the town of  Lindon, Colorado.  This is where I hang a left to Colorado Springs.  The hard part is done.  Time to continue with my well considered and constructed plan: Go to mountains, ride some great roads.  Avoid interstates and heavy traffic. Don't crash.


Lindon is a dump.  It has the usual interstate fast food joints and a couple of newer hotels. It also has an old main street that once had a theater, store fronts and old motels.  They are now boarded up and it is a very sad looking town.  The interstate passed main street by and main street is not coming back.  They have a sad looking trailer park.  Who would live here?  Who is stuck here?  It looks like a good place to go if you did not want to be found.

Somehow I expected more from Colorado.  Northern and eastern Ohio as well as parts of West Virginia and Kentucky are full of these dying little towns.  Well past their prime.

I think about how one would revive such a town.  I have no answers.  This is too hard, I am on vacation.  I digress....

Somewhere around Lindon I see the mountains.  14,000 feet, some with snow on the top. It is a great sight seeing the silhouette of these beauties from miles away.

I head to Colorado Springs on an old two lane highway.  I pass a speed trap.  Not today.

I regroup at a McDonalds in Colorado Springs.  They are having a sale on large drinks for $1 in those large styrofoam cups.  Part of my hydration plan.  Those cups fit perfectly in my fancy cup holder mounted to the handlebars.  Annoyingly sometimes those lids blow off.  SO I am always replenishing my drink and stash some extra lids in the tank bag.

I look at my maps and update my phone.  Cripple Creek Colorado is pretty close.  I always liked that song.  My vague plan has now been updated. I head to the mountains on a two lane road through red rock canyons.  It is awesome...

To be continued....



No comments:

Post a Comment