Saturday, August 22, 2015

Kansas sucked and Another long day

My recollection of Kansas is not very positive.  It was flat, boring and too fucking hot.  On the second day of my trip I rode from Kingdom City, Missouri to Colby, Kansas.

A light rain in the morning.  Then the clouds burned off and it became brutally hot.

They have a toll on the road from Kansas City to Topeka.  I feel like sending Kansas a bill.

If Kingdom City was supposed to honor God, I think he/she would be disappointed.

Nothing to see.  Fields and the further west you go, less agriculture.  The temperature reached 100 degrees.

The sun cooks you, even at 85 mph.  I would hit every rest stop and soak my shirt and pour water in my helmet.  By the next rest stop, it would be completely dry.  I managed to stay hydrated.  It was brutal.  I cannot imagine doing this trip on a horse as some of our pioneers did.

I took my gloves off and the top of my hands started getting sunburned.

I was involved in a race.  I like racing.  Someone wins and someone loses.  In this case I was the only contestant.  Would I get to Colby Kansas before getting dumped on?  I was going 85 mph west and the storm was going an unknown speed east.  It was going to be close.  I really wanted to get to Colorado.  This is what stopped me.




II made it by less than 10 minutes.  t was quite a fierce and dangerous storm.  The rain was coming down in sheets.  Lightning, wind and thunder.   The TV weatherman was having an orgasm.  If I had lost the race I do not think I could have ridden through this one.

I had a couple of granola bars and called it a night.





No comments:

Post a Comment