Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Day 6 Rocky Mountain National Park


The start of another beautiful day.   The parking lot is about half filled up with motorcycles.  I meet a rider from Germany.  He has rented a Harley Davidson and is pursuing a dream.

 I started by backtracking back through Granby, Colorado.  Some new developments are going up there and there is a fancy new McDonalds.  I hate to see the blatant commercialization of some of these small towns.  Developers, please be a little more subtle.   This is a little unsettling to me.  An example of hypocritical thinking by me as I think to myself that I would enjoy a nice little mountain retreat in one of these developments.

I only had a couple of scares on my trip.  Heading towards the park some idiot in a big pickup truck decided to make a left turn in front of me.  I hit the brakes pretty hard and cleared with no problem.  Fucking idiots, ruining my Zen (not sure if I really know how to define Zen but at times I think I can feel it), sense of security and serenity.   I am sure this is all part of my brain development.  Scientists believe that the extra concentration needed to successfully operate a motorcycle can contribute to higher general levels of brain function.   There are actual studies on this.  My brain is working pretty well.

I get to the park and pay my entrance fee.  You start out in a valley.  It is green and lush.  On my prior trip I had seen lots of elk in the valley.  Nothing on this trip or they are hiding very well.  Lots of other motorcyclists doing the same thing I am.  Many are working their way towards Sturgis, South Dakota.  It is an interesting way to travel.



I climb out of the valley.  Again, outstanding views and scenery.  I keep going up and up on wonderful switchback roads.  The bike does this without much effort.    Surely, the top must be near.  It is not, I keep climbing and climbing.

You go above the tree line and see snow on the top of the mountains.  There is an alpine visitor center which I stop to enjoy the views.  It is crowded at the top of the mountain.

I travel on.  It is cool and comfortable.  The road is busy.  I see three elk grazing high above the road.  They know how to get away from people.  There is nowhere to stop for a photo.  I file the memory away in my brain.

This is a wonderful park with a wonderful  road filled with spectacular views.  It takes me most of the day to get through the park.  A day well spent pursuing Zen or some such nonsense.


No comments:

Post a Comment