Thursday, March 31, 2016

Hog Heaven


$40 will get you into heaven for a night.  There is a discount if you stay for a week.  After a couple of weeks heaven closes and you must go to---somewhere else.  It is controlled access.  If you do not pay you do not get in. 

Hog Heaven is a compound for motorcyclists.  There are other bigger and more famous compounds such as the Buffalo Chip or Full Throttle Saloon.  They even made a reality TV show on the Full Throttle Saloon.  Those places have women dressed like the women in Hooters.  Hog Heaven does not.  You have to bring your own. 

There are hundreds of acres fields which have been converted to a camp ground.  There are areas for trailers, RVs and bike/tent  camping.  In the tent camping area it is essentially a free for all.  Find a spot and pitch your tent.  Park your bike next to the tent or somewhere close.    There are thousands of folks camping.

Everything you need is at Hog Heaven.  They have a main bar area with a band that plays until midnight.  They serve alcohol and food at the main bar. 

They have a couple of satellite bars with food.  A couple of shower houses with modern plumbing and portable toilets strategically placed around the camp. 

It is quite a sight.  Thousands of tents, trailers and motorcycles.

I feel like an outlier.  I ride a Honda.  95% of the bikes are Harleys.  Most folks come in a group of at least two.  I ride alone.  I have earned some respect.  When people hear how far I have traveled and the places I rode to, they realize that I am a bit serious about this riding thing.   

I pick a flat spot near another Goldwing with a Minnesota license plate and set up camp. 

I chat with the man from Minnesota.  He has brought his eleven year old son along.  He has towed a small camping trailer behind his Honda.  He is here for the week.  We have a beer with another couple.

It will be an interesting night.  I get my scouting report and head off to Sturgis. 



No comments:

Post a Comment