Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Walk of Shame completed, the adventure continues


The Ranchester Wyoming walk of shame has been completed.  The adventure must continue.

Next on the adventure is the famous or infamous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and the Black Hills.

Sturgis is a small town on I-90 that has been having a motorcycle rally for 75 years.  It happens the first week of August every year.  The expectation is that anywhere between 600,000 and 1 million motorcyclists would attend the 75th anniversary rally. 

I have never been to a giant motorcycle rally.  As a kid I recall seeing packs of motorcycles heading west on I-90.  I have seen packs and riders along my trip.  I have been through Sturgis on non-bike week.  It is on many a bucket list.

Reviews are somewhat mixed.  It is known as a wild and decadent place.  Some people go every year. It is their vacation.   Others have attended and suggest that I ride right on by. I need to make my own evaluation. 

So I cross the great plains of Wyoming and South Dakota.  I head for the Deadwood exit.  I need gas again.  I am a bit more sensitive to this whole gas thing.  Thousands of bikes on the road.  Many more bikes than cars.  It is crawling with motorcycles.  Nice roads, but it is ridiculously congested. 

I want to explore but now it is time for my next trick, I need a place to lay my head down.  It has been a long day.  I motel is out of the question.  I do not intend to pitch my tent in the dark. 

I head for Sturgis, a short ride from Deadwood.  I see people camped out along the way in people’s lawns and some smaller campgrounds.  I do not find what I am looking for.

On the South side of I-90 I see a sign for Hog Heaven.  I have found a home for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment